From A Wiki on National Parliament Buildings Worldwide
|Form of government||Unitary Parliamentary Monarchy|
|Size in km²||498800|
|Year of construction||1850 / 1990 (ext)|
|Architect||Narciso Pascual Colomer (ES) / Rubert de Ventos (ES), Oriol Clos (ES) and Josep Parcerisa (ES)|
Palacio de las Cortes (English lit. "Palace of the Parliament (of Spain)") is a building where the Spanish Congress of Deputies meet. It is located on the Calle Zorrilla and the Carrera de San Jerónimo, near the Paseo del Prado. It was built by Narciso Pascual Colomer from 1843 to 1850 in the neoclassic style and is one of the most emblematic buildings of Madrid from the 19th century. To the east of the parliamentary seat is the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza.
(Allow Pop-Up Windows)
Inaugurated by Queen Isabella II on 31 October 1850, this building’s main façade is amongst Spain’s masterpieces of neoclassicism. A flight of steps ascends to a portico dominated by six Corinthian pillars. The two bronze lions at either side of the main steps are made from cannons captured from the opponents of the 1860 African war. In 1990 an extension was erected, featuring plenty of curved glazing and natural stone.
Facts & Figures
|Members of parliament||350||GPD per capita in PPP in US$||33.211|
|Number of women||140||HDI||0,876|
|Pop. per MP||131.776||Democracy index||8,30|
|CO2 total||241.637||CO2 per capita||5,10|
section & floor plan
floor plan assembly
floor plan visitors